• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
• 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 2 celery stalks, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine (or garlic powder)
• 2 cans red kidney beans, drained
• 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock – I used Manischewitz Vegetable Stock
• 1 bay leaf
• Pinch of dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
• salt and black pepper to taste
• Tabasco sauce to taste
• 2 spicy sausages (or veggie links) browned and sliced into coins (optional)
1. In a medium sized heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook the vegetables until soft, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes).
2. Add the beans, stock, herbs and spices and simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper sauce and adjust seasonings. With a potato masher, smash the beans so you have a thicker mixture with some whole beans remaining.
3. Serve over plain white rice topped with sausage.
ETA – the boys totally loved it!!